Wednesday 11 January 2017

Pathway - Standard




Pathway Phase - Response To Italy

The Standard


The spectre of Brexit-related fears really hung over me, even in Rome. I have friends who are scrambling to apply for the right to remain, who are living with the anxiety of not knowing what their immigration status will be in two years. These citizens and likewise, Britons abroad, all face huge uncertaintly. 

The rallying cry of Leave voters is to create a second golden era where we have "control". It smacks of Imperial ambitions to me, and empires can and have fallen in the past. I wanted to capture a feeling of faded glory, biased nostalgia.

I photographed Cormorants basking on the Tiber and they reminded me of the Eagles used on Roman battle standards... which was appropriated by Nazis


Above are some photographs of my sketchbook while I developed ideas and experimented with materials, and below is the final piece.





No comments:

Post a Comment