Saturday 4 March 2017

Exploratory Phase - 3D






Exploratory Phase - 3D


The theme for 3D week was "Fragment" or "Fragmentation".

We were inducted into the plaster casting and ceramics rooms, where I cast a selection of objects. My favourite to work with was an old cow bone I found on the banks of the Thames. 

I found the medium of plaster and the archetypal image of a bone being bleached white and chalky sat together nicely in my mind's eye. I experimented with fabric inclusion and other different ways to fragment or fracture my plaster bones.

I think the jewellery pieces represent a fear to deviate from my comfort zone this early in the course. Having said that, I would never have considered casting bones for commercial jewellery pieces, so I'm glad I had the opportunity to see how my past and present thinking worked for or against each other. 

I have begun to work with more of my mudlarking finds in jewellery, so this week has had an impact of my professional sphere already!

No comments:

Post a Comment